This shortbread recipe was developed by former Oliveto Pastry Chef, Jenny Raven. These cookies are buttery, sweet and have just the right amount of salt. We highly recommend these paired with your favorite ice cream, sorbet, an espresso, dipped in chocolate…the list goes on. This recipe is simple and versatile — try adding complementary flavors, like ground espresso, cardamom, or lemon zest.
Whole Grain Shortbread Cookies
Makes approximately 24 cookies.
Created exclusively for Community Grains by former Oliveto Pastry Chef Jenny Raven.
- 8 oz. soft unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups Community Grains Hard Red Winter Wheat Whole Grain Flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat very soft room temperature butter with the sugar, vanilla and salt until just blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the flour. Mix on low speed until you have a uniform dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap and chill for at least 45 minutes — maximum 24 hours.
- Once chilled, remove the from the plastic wrap and roll the dough on a heavily floured piece of parchment to 1/4″ thick.
- Transfer to sheet pan and chill for 15-20 minutes until firm.
- Cut the dough with a pizza cutter or knife to form cookies 3/4″ x 1 1/2″ rectangles or use your favorite cookie cutter. Space evenly on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Prick with a fork and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake in a 350ºF oven for 10 -15 minutes, until firm and golden.