Jenny Raven, former Pastry Chef at Oliveto Restaurant in Oakland, shared her pie crust recipe using Community Grains Hard Red Winter Wheat Flour.
Flakey Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Makes one 9″ covered pie, or two 9″ open pie shells.
From former Oliveto Pastry Chef Jenny Raven.
- 2 ½ cups Patwin Hard Red Winter Wheat Whole Grain Flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter (1.25 sticks)
- 8 tablespoons ice water
- Cut the cold butter into ½” cubes.
- Working with your hands in a large bowl, toss all dry ingredients together with the butter. Pinching with your fingers, slightly smush each piece of butter to render malleable.
- Add the cold water and work into the dry ingredients, taking care not to smear the butter into the dough. If dry flour dust remains at the bottom of the bowl, drizzle another tablespoon of water onto the dough.
- Pat into a disc, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough into an elongated oval of about 6×18 inches. Fold in thirds, as a letter for an envelope, and pat back into a circular patty. Chill for 15 minutes and roll again as before.
- Chill for 4 hours.
- Roll the finished dough to desired size and arrange in pie tin. Bake at 375 degrees if empty (as for a pumpkin pie) or filled with fruit at 400 degrees.