These are hard not to eat right off the cookie sheet — our whole wheat flour helps these stay moist, fudgey, and extra super gooey.
Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 18-20 cookies.
- 2 cups Community Grains Hard Red Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Place both sticks of butter on counter to soften, about 1-2 hours.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer place both sticks of softened butter and cream on low with paddle attachment. Add the sugars and cream the butter with the speed on medium-high, until the mixture becomes fluffy and lighter in color. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix until just incorporated.
- In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients until well-combined. Spoon the dry ingredients into butter and eggs, mix on low until just combined, careful not to overmix. Stir in the chocolate chips. Cover the bowl and place in fridge for at least 2 hours, and up to 12 hours (I know this is soooo tough but these cookies really do turn out better when given the chance to chill!).
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Once the cookie dough is thoroughly chilled, scoop golf-ball sized balls of dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cookies will look under done when you remove them from the oven – don’t worry, as they will continue to cook!
- Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes before trying to remove them from the cookie sheet. Enjoy immediately after they cool or store in an airtight container for later!