Comforting, creamy sweet potato filling in a rustic whole wheat pie crust — it’s absolutely the yummiest. Roasting the potatoes brings out their natural sweetness.
White Sweet Potato Pie
Makes 1 pie.
Inspired by a recipe from the Hallmark Channel.
- 1/2 a batch of whole wheat pie crust
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 heaping Tbsp Community Grains Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup of sweet potatoes, roasted soft and mashed (see note)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Prepare your pie shell according to the recipe.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and let cool slightly, add to a mixing bowl with the sugar and eggs, and mix together until creamy. Then add the flour and sweet potatoes and mix until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a pie crust and bake on 325ºF. Bake until pie firms and is golden brown, but jiggles slightly in the middle. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
Roast small to medium sweet potatoes by piercing them all over with a fork, wrapping them in foil, and roasting in a 350ºF oven for about an hour, until very soft and bits of sugar have oozed and caramelized from its pierced skin.