Stovetop Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Serves 6-8 as a main course.
This easy, kid-approved recipe will likely be a hit with your whole family! Plus it’s made with our whole grain pasta – what more could you want? Try with one of our short pastas: pipe rigate or torchiette! You can mix this up in so many ways: change up the cheeses, or add steamed broccoli florets or even butternut squash puree to kick up the nutrients a notch. This dish freezes and reheats well.
- 1 lb. Community Grains Whole Wheat Pasta (short shaped)
- 4 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 2/3 cup onions, finely diced
- 24 oz. cheddar (or other melty cheese), grated
- 4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Bread crumbs (optional)
- Bring 1 gallon of well-salted water to a rapid boil. Add pasta. Cook until al dente, about 6-7 minutes. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to cool down. Set aside.
- In another large pot heat the butter over medium-low heat and add the onions. Cook the onions for 2-3 minutes. Stir the flour into the onions and butter, and cook for about a minute — be careful not to burn the butter or flour. Add milk to the flour while whisking. Stir often as the mixture starts to thicken. Once it has thickened, about 10 minutes, add the cheese and turn the heat to low. Stir in the cheese until completely melted. Remove from heat. Add the pasta to the cheese sauce and stir to coat evenly.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving or transfer it to an oven-safe dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 450ºF for 10 minutes or until golden. Enjoy!