This is an incredible brunch dish that pops with flavor! You can prepare the polenta, pesto, bacon and kale the night before, and in the morning, cook up the eggs and reheat the polenta and bacon. Set out the toppings for your guests, and they can do all the serving themselves. Photo and recipe by Jaclyn Coleman.
Savory Breakfast Polenta
Adapted from No Spoon Necessary.
- 1 cup Community Grains Polenta Integrale, cooked according to package
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb bacon, sliced into strips
- ½ large bunch kale or swiss chard (about ½ pound) – thick stems removed and discarded, kale coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, optional
For the Sun-dried Tomato Pesto:
- ½ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Scant ¼ cup parmesan cheese – freshly grated
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 4 Tbsp oil from the sun-dried tomato jar*
- Prepare the polenta: Do this in advance, if possible. Follow cooking instructions on our Community Grains polenta (2-3 hours for Red Flint and 45 minutes – 1 hour for Otto File). When done, stir in thyme, ½ teaspoon salt and pinch of pepper. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Cover and keep warm, stirring from time to time.
- Prepare the Sun-dried Tomato Pesto: In the bowl of a food processor add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Process until smooth, combined, and paste-like*.
- Cook bacon and kale: Place a deep-sided skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned and crispy, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a plate and set aside. Leave the bacon fat in the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add in the kale and ½ cup chicken stock. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender and soft, about 7-8 minutes. Transfer kale to plate with bacon. Tent gently with aluminum foil.
- And poach the eggs: Fill a medium pot with about 2-3’’ of water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat until it is barely simmering (180º-190º F). Break one egg into a small bowl and carefully tip into the water to add the egg. Add remaining eggs. Cook, swirling water occasionally, until egg whites are set but yolks are soft, 4 ½ minutes for runny yolks or 5 ½ minutes for set yolks. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon to a plate.**
- Assemble the bowls: Divide polenta between serving bowls. Top with bacon, sautéed kale, and a poached egg. Finish with sun-dried tomato pesto.