The simple contrast of sweet juicy pear, and creamy-crumbly, tart goat cheese make for a delicious toast. These are easy enough to make for yourself for TV time or for sharing with a few friends.
Pear & Goat Cheese Whole Wheat Tartines
- 4 1-inch thick slices of whole wheat batard
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 pears, cored and sliced thin (about 1/4 inch or less)
- 4 oz. soft goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp thyme, stems removed
- maple syrup or honey for drizzling
- salt and pepper
- Lightly toast 4 slices of bread. Smear butter on each slice (1 Tablespoon shared across the 4 slices). Begin alternating between a smear of goat cheese (about a half teaspoon), a slice of pear, and a sprinkle of thyme from one end of the toast to the other. Repeat for each toast slice. Pour a very light drizzle of maple syrup or honey across each slice.
- Place under a broiler for about 1-2 minutes (depending on how close your toast is to the heating element). You want the goat cheese to melt a touch and turn a light golden color, being careful not to burn the bread. Top with remaining thyme and freshly cracked pepper – and serve.