One of our favorite, comforting treats in the form of a small, whole wheat cookie. You can use smooth peanut butter, but we like crunchy! You can bake these ahead, then fill them when you’re ready to serve.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Whole Wheat Thumbprints
Makes about 4 dozen.
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups Community Grains Hard Red Winter Wheat Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Your favorite jam!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter, sugar, and salt on medium speed until combined and creamy. Mix in peanut butter then egg and vanilla.
- In small bowl, stir flour with baking powder and baking soda, and add to the batter on low speed until just combined.
- Form 48 balls of dough, each about 2 teaspoons volume. Space two inches apart on your cookie sheets. Press finger or the end of a wooden spoon deeply into the center of each dough ball.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Allow to cool completely. Fill with your favorite jam!