Our pastry flour is mild and creamy, perfect for buttery sugar cookies!
Holiday Cut-out Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2-1/2 cups Community Grains Whole Wheat White Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In the bowl of your mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla until well incorporated.
- On the low setting, slowly add in the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Let cool in the fridge for at least one hour or until well chilled.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Divide your dough into half, flour cutting board and rolling pin, and roll out a portion of the dough on floured board. Make sure to move the dough around the board so it doesn’t stick.
- Use your favorite cookie cutter and cut out shapes; reroll scraps. Roll out the rest of the dough to make the rest of the cookies.
- Place on a cookie sheet about an inch apart, and bake for 7-10 minutes, until they’re just starting to brown around the edges.
- Let cool on a wire rack, and decorate with royal icing.