This dish is inspired by Carla Lalli Music‘s post How to Make Pasta Without A Recipe. We love the time-saving tip of briefly blanching the greens along with the pasta.
Because there’s something particularly comforting about leeks softened in butter, we went with that combination instead of oil and garlic, but either way this is a quick, easy dinner for a chilly night.
Additionally, all of our pastas would work well here, but we opted for our Fettuccine for its pronounced, nutty flavor – a beautiful backdrop to kale’s slight bitterness. It’s delicious enough as is, but we’ve suggested a variety of additions – olives and capers are a favorite – to round out the meal!
Whole Wheat Pasta with Greens and Leeks
- ½ box Community Grains Whole Wheat Fettuccine
- 1 large bunch of kale, chard, or collards, roughly cut
- 1 medium leek, trimmed and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Splash of white wine
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- OPTIONAL: pancetta, bacon, sausage, chili flakes, olives, capers, cooked beans
- Set 4 quarts of well-salted water on to boil. Once the water is boiling, gently add the pasta and cook according to pasta directions (approximately 6-8 minutes).
- At about 4-5 minutes into the pasta’s cook time, toss in the greens to blanch for 2 minutes. Drain pasta and greens when pasta is al dente and set aside. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil and butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and sauté for about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and a splash of white wine, turn heat down a bit and let leeks soften, another 4-5 minutes. Add any of the optional ingredients above at this point. Set aside.
- Put pasta and greens back in pasta pot set over low heat. Add pasta water and half of the grated cheese, allow to warm for a minute and stir to coat the pasta. Stir in the leek and garlic mixture. Add more water if it looks dry.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with additional grated cheese, chili flakes, and a splash of olive oil, if desired.