A yummy, healthy, lunchtime bite! Beautiful, deeply nutritious beets give this Middle Eastern-inspired tartine a vibrant color.
Beet Hummus and Za’atar Tartines
Makes 8 tartines.
For the beet hummus:
- 1 medium beet, boiled and coarsely chopped
- 1 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the tartine:
- 8 slices of whole grain hearth bread, sliced and toasted
- 1 tablespoon of za’atar
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1 1/2 cups beet hummus
- To make the hummus, add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add olive oil and tahini to your desired texture.
- Assemble the tartines: smear 2 tablespoons of beet hummus on each slice of toasted bread and sprinkle each with za’atar, scallions, walnuts, and crumbled feta. Serve with a little glug of olive oil and freshly cracked pepper on each slice.