Because 100% whole wheat flour is highly absorptive, we added a touch of egg for additional moisture. We made this rustic tart to celebrate spring, dressing it with earthy, roasted asparagus and a tart layer of creamy goat cheese. Nutty whole wheat makes a perfect backdrop for these bold flavors. This would work beautifully with roasted mushrooms, carrots, or other spring vegetables — or, try sweetening the goat cheese with honey and sprinkling with dried lavender for a simple cheese galette. Created by Pastry Chef Andrew Chaney of Oliveto.
Asparagus and Goat Cheese Galette
Recipe by Andrew Chaney.
- 1 cup Community Grains Hard White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 cup Community Grains Hard Red Whole Wheat Flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 oz. (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk, whisked
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 oz goat cheese, room temperature
- 8 sprigs of thyme, stems removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 lb asparagus, washed and trimmed
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in half of the measurement of butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Cut in the remaining butter until the largest pieces are the size of peas. This can also be done in a food processor with a few short pulses. Stir in the egg and egg yolk until well combined, but be careful not to over work. Gather up the dough and knead it 2 or 3 times. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375º degrees. In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, thyme leaves, and lemon juice. Mix until well combined.
- Roll dough out on a floured work surface to a 14-inch wide round, about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread the goat cheese mixture atop the dough, leaving about 2-inch border all the way around. Lay the asparagus atop the goat cheese mixture and fold up the edges of the dough over the asparagus and goat cheese. Leave the edges wild and rustic or use your thumb and index finger to form crimps around the edge. Brush the crust with olive oil. Sprinkle the galette lightly with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temperature.